Bridges and crowns are fixed prosthodontic treatments that are cemented/fixed on existing teeth or implants. Crowns are used most commonly to entirely cap or cover a damaged tooth or cover an implant.
A dentist may recommend a crown to:
- Replace a large filling when there isn’t enough tooth remaining
- Protect a weak tooth from fracturing
- Restore a fractured tooth
- Attach a bridge
- Cover a dental implant
- Cover a discolored or poorly shaped tooth
- Cover a tooth that has had root canal treatment
- Gaps left by missing teeth eventually cause the remaining teeth to shift resulting in a bad bite. This can also lead to gum disease and TMJ disorders. Bridges are commonly used if you’re missing one or more teeth. They cover the space where the teeth are missing and are cemented to natural teeth or implants surrounding the space.
There is a wide number of options available depending on the material used for fabrication from All ceramic, zirconia and Porcelain fused to metal(metal ceramic).